Oxford United's roots stretch back to 1893, when Headington FC was formed in the Britannia Inn, opposite the site of the Manor Ground. The club fielded various amateur teams, who played on different days of the week.
The suffix 'United' was inconsistently used during the first two decades.
In 1911, another club, Headington Quarry merged with Headington FC, with the new combined clubs officially named Headington United Football Club.
It is difficult to accurately depict the kit colours with very few black and white photographs. However, many historic team sheets and programme notes consistently state "Orange and Navy".
The first three decades of the 20th century saw the club wearing a variety of shirt styles.
The Great War paused the progress of the club until football was reinstated in 1919.
By the mid-1930's, the stripes were replaced with predominantly orange shirts, paired with navy trim.
The Second World War again also halted progress of the club, however, by 1949 Headington United had reached the Southern League (Tier 5) of the footballing pyramid.
The first season in the Southern League saw a club crest feature on the jerseys for the very first time. The 'ox on water' was taken straight from the city's coat of arms.
The team enjoyed some memorable cup success against established league clubs.
A much larger, and modified version of the club crest featured during the early 1950's.